Sunday, September 8, 2013

09.08.13 - Impulse Cosmetics

After seeing a rave review on Impulse Cosmetics, I wanted to check them out. 


My order arrived fairly quickly, but I noticed something. None of the eyeshadows had ingredients listings, on the site there are ingredients listings though. 

Everything is swatched under an LED light (unless otherwise stated) and over Milani's Eyeshadow Primer

The label. Sometimes, when I look really fast, I think of colorful brains. :P

Here are what some of the labels look like. If the don't fit on the bottom of the jar, they put it on the side
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Narcissa
Narcissa

Witching Hour
Witching Hour

L-R: Valkyrie, Narcissa, and Witching Hour

Valkyrie - Matte black base with a billion things of green shimmer. It's got so much shimmer to it it looks almost duochrome. I noticed that most of the colors I picked were glittery and packed full of sparkles.
Green sparkle-fest

Narcissa (sorry for the blurry photo)
Narcissa - Purple with a ton of aqua sparks. Like Valkyrie, it has so much shimmer it's almost duochrome.
Narcissa
Narcissa

Witching Hour
Witching Hour - This was hard to photograph.This is a matte black with microfine glitter of purple, red, and turquoise. You need a super sticky base for all the glitter to stay on. After I swatched this photo, it fell right off. As for the actual eyeshadow; this felt like there was no base mixed it. It was hard to blend and chalky. It felt like it was straight oxides.

Bellatrix
Bellatrix

Alchemy
Alchemy

Vendetta
Vendetta

L-R: Bellatrix, Alchemy, and Vendetta

Bellatrix - A red-toned purple with an aqua duochrome and slight aqua shimmers. 
Bellatrix

Alchemy - This is a unique shade. It's got a charcoal base that has a turquoise duochrome and a billion things of gold, blue, and green shimmer. It kind of makes it look silvery.
Alchemy
Alchemy

Vendetta - A sheer pink with a gold duochrome and an explosion of gold sparkles
Vendetta
Sovereign
Sovereign

Mumble
Mumble

L-R: Sovereign and Mumble

Sovereign - Matte purple with gold glitter. Like Witching Hour, you need a sticky base for this to work. Most of the glitter came off when I took this photo. I also had issues swatching this color: hard to blend and chalky like it was made only with oxides and no base. 
Sovereign

Mumble - sheer lavender with a blue duochrome. Very sheer! I had to pack on the color. :(
Can you see the patchy spots?

--------------
I don't like doing this part but I thought some of you might want to know. I noticed that some of these colors are VERY similar to TKB Trading's micas. (I use them to formulate MY colors). The ones that jumped out to me were: Vendetta and Bellatrix.

These photos were taken in indirect daylight. I enlargened the photos so you could see them better...

 Can you tell which is which? 
 How about now?
 Nope...
 Here's the answer:
L-R: Vendetta and Sparkle Rose (TKB Trading)

Now, I'm not calling them a repackager, they might have just made a color very similar to Sparkle Rose

 Next is Bellatrix. Definitely different but it looked very similar


Bellatrix is more red.
Here's another view of both of them. 

Overall, I'm still kind of iffy. I haven't tried their lip products but I haven't heard good things about them and I don't plan to. Some of the eyeshadows feel as  if they weren't blended with a base and were just straight up oxides. And that one: Vendetta is making me wonder if it's repackaged or not. 

Would you try Impulse Cosmetics? Have you tried them? Tell me your experiences :)

3 comments:

  1. Hmm... glad I read this, I was thinking about trying a couple but they don't look anywhere as good as what they represent on Etsy. Think I'll just save my $ for other things... like the I+T Monthly Subscription *hint* haha :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of disappointed too. I admit some are really pretty but after swatching them, a lot of them aren't too great.

      Delete
  2. I have a couple of eyeshadows by Impulse Cosmetics and several lipsticks. I actually really love them. The eyeshadows are pigmented and shimmery and gorgeous in my opinion, though a bit hard to blend. I can't say anything about if they might be just repackaged or not, but I think the quality is ok. As for their lipsticks I love them! They are super creamy and pigmented. That's just my opinion though.

    http://mattekat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete